The public sector is legally obliged to rationally use and systematically manage energy in all its objects on the national, regional and local level. That is why it must be the instigator and promoter of activities for the application of measures for the improvement of energy efficiency and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
The proactive energy policy of the City of Zagreb has set high targets in order to meet the obligations set out in the Covenant of Mayors and the Sustainable energy action plan of the City of Zagreb to reduce CO2 emissions by 21% through the application of energy efficiency measures and the use of renewable energy sources by the year 2020.
Also, the Directive 2012/27/EU on energy efficiency obliges the public sector to acquire energy efficient buildings, products and services. The public sector is also obliged to reduce energy consumption in buildings it uses and owns by annually refurbishing 3% of total useful surface of heated or cooled parts of buildings belonging to the public sector in the aim of saving energy, starting with January 1, 2014.
The building sector has the largest input of approximately 65% total consumption of the City of Zagreb. It has been estimated that the greatest potential for saving lies in exactly this sector.
In order to encourage the application of energy efficiency measures and the use of renewable energy sources, the City of Zagreb shall provide an example of the usefulness of such measures for individuals and the society.
The project ZagEE – Zagreb Energy Efficient City supports the realization of energy savings through the implementation of economically justified, energy efficient technologies and measures on objects owned by the City of Zagreb. The purpose of the said objects is various:
- 3 city administration buildings;
- 15 elementary schools;
- 7 secondary schools;
- 36 kindergartens;
- 6 retirement homes;
- 3 health centers;
- 17 buildings of local self-government
- modernization of 3000 outdated luminaries in the public lighting system by LED luminaries with time based lighting control system.
The project is implemented as part of the IEE program for technical assistance 2012. – Mobilization of local energy investments and includes financing of technical assistance as well as the production of the documentation necessary for energy refurbishment of objects, through the allocation of grants. This allows the beneficiaries to produce projects, feasibility studies and obtain the necessary documentation needed for financing the energy refurbishment of objects from sources other than the city budget, such as banks and EU funds.
The value of the ZagEE project amounts to EUR 1.813.438, and total planned investment worth of work on the realization of planned measures for which the technical documentation will be produced amounts to EUR 29.379.114. The return on investment, without using the grants, is approximately 13 years.
In a time of recession and crisis, rational use of energy, energy efficiency, the application of new green technologies and renewable energy sources is an imperative but also a challenge and impulse for economic development, opening new workplaces and a brighter perspective for our young generations.
- to reduce total energy consumption of the city administration through increasing energy efficiency and using renewable energy sources on objects owned by the City of Zagreb;
- to find and use financing models for energy efficiency applicable to the city administration;
- to acquire knowledge and experience necessary for all participants of the energy refurbishment process through examples of energy efficiency implementation on a large number of objects of various purposes;
- to influence positive changes in legislation, regulations etc and to influence the improvement of the existing financing instruments, based on experiences acquired through the implementation of the ZagEE project;
- to educate the city administration employees in the implementation of large energy projects,
- to educate the building managers on efficient use of objects;
- to encourage experts to undertake additional education on specific skills in connection with energy refurbishment;
- to influence positive changes in the economy;
- to share the acquired skills and experiences and influence energy efficient development in other cities of the region and beyond;
- to contribute to climate protection and sustainable development through a reduction of greenhouse gas emissions.
Expected results of the ZagEE project
- Realization of average energy saving amounting to 49% in buildings and 72% in public lighting, i.e. an annual energy saving of 33.526 MWh in objects included in the ZagEE project;
- Using energy from renewable sources in an amount of 490 MWh annually in buildings;
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions by 8.390 tCO2 per year through energy refurbishment measures implemented in objects as part of the project;
- Production of quality technical documentation for the energy refurbishment of objects with a feasibility study for 87 buildings owned by the City of Zagreb and 3000 public luminaries;
- Production of the City of Zagreb Lighting Masterplan;
- Financing energy refurbishment from various sources, i.e. the city budget, EU funds, favorable bank loans and other sources acceptable for the city administration;
- Performing public tenders for works on the energy refurbishments of objects;
- Education of the project team in the city administration on implementation of large energy refurbishment projects;
- Education of building managers on the efficient use of objects;
- Sharing the experience and skills with other cities in the region and beyond concerning the positive results and problems in connection with the implementation of the project.
Target groups of the project
- Managers and users of objects included in the project;
- City administration employees;
- Planners and other experts in the field of energy refurbishment;
- Competent Ministries;
- Financial institutions;
- Small and medium enterprises;
- Local self-governments in the region and beyond.
- 12 Dec 2013Second meeting of partners on the project ZagEE
- 29 Nov 2013Tender for development of technical documentation for reconstruction measures energy facilities within the project ZagEE – 7th phase
- 23 Oct 2013Tender for development of technical documentation for reconstruction measures energy facilities within the project ZagEE – 6th phase
- 02 Oct 2013Project ZagEE presented at the CROENERGY 2013. conference
- 18 Sep 2013Tender for development of technical documentation for reconstruction measures energy facilities within the project ZagEE- 5th phase